Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Wrens live 11/18/05

I had the good fortune of seeing New Jersey's finest, the Wrens, this past Friday at Alumnae Hall at Brown University. Not well publicized to the public and requiring a college ID to gain entry, I was a little nervous about going in solo - but a show's a show, right? Luckily as a quasi-faculty member, my ID and $5 gained me entry into not only a great show, but some excellent people watching conditions. As I sidled up to the "bar" to purchase a $1 Stroh's from the young fraternity pledge I was fascinated by the eclectic crowd of Ivy League smarties dressed to the nines in their alterna-wear. I particularly loved the two young ladies in their Olivia Newton John a la` "Let's Get Physical" ensembles, complete with teal leg warmers - is this supposed to be ironic? Anyway, I kept telling myself that the band members are even older than me so I need to just get over the age thing (where are all the grad students?).

One of 2003's best albums, The Meadowlands, was the centerpiece of the show. Hightlights included "Happy", "Hopeless", "Faster Gun" and "Everyone Choose Sides" - many of the songs deviated from their recorded arrangements but to uniform success. Bassist/Keyboardist/ Singer Kevin Whelan was clearly the linchpin, looking like a boyish cross between Colin Firth and Jim Carey as he spazzed out on stage - unbelievable energy which could be reigned in for beautiful songs like "Boy, You Won't Remember". Greg Whelan (lead guitar and Kevin's big brother) and Jerry MacDonald (drums) were clearly the yin to Kevin's yang. All the while, Charles Bissell (Guitar/Vocals) was creating crazy sounds with his Strat while strumming as if his right elbow was on some sort of swivel. Although the acoustics of the room left something to be desired, the energy and song selection more than made up for it.

Everyone Choose Sides(mp3)

No comments: