Friday, December 23, 2005

Top 20 Songs of 2005 (20 - 11)

I am back from Cambodia, so I guess that means writing about music again. While sites like Pitchfork Media and CokemachineGlow, in addition to nearly every music/mp3 blog, have offerred their take on the best albums or singles of the year I will follow suit... because really, who loves lists more than me (answer: no one - at least no one who should really be spending the bulk of their free time with their wife and child or busy learning medicine). I decided to rank songs, not singles, because I often find at this stage of my life I am just as likely to love some random album track as I am the single released by the artist (or label). So today, I present songs 20 to 11, with 10 to 1 to follow in the next few days. When possible I have included a link to a free and legal mp3 version of the songs, so check them out.

20. The Oranges Band "Ride the Nuclear Wave" Lookout
Simple pop perfection from Baltimore's The Oranges Band. Great harmonies, smart lyrics and the feeling that this song could have been written in 1965 just as easily as 2005.

19. …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead “Will You Smile Again” Interscope
Exploding with dueling guitars before evolving into a musical death march, this song features the best six minute build up into sonic frenzy of the year. Also check out "The Rest Will Follow" from the same album.

18. Pela “Episodes (Diphenhydramine)” Brassland
While it seems like every band from Brooklyn is the next "It" band, Pela are living under the radar playing their own intelligent brand of indie rock a la American Music Club and The National. More importantly, this is the best song featuring an antihistamine in its title out there.

17. William Elliot Whitmore “Midnight” Southern
Just like Rachel's made chamber music cool for the indie crowd, William Elliot Whitmore has made bluegrass cool for the punk crowd. Employing only an acoustic guitar and simple percussion, it's William's voice from the beyond (sort of a young Tom Waits) that drives this song.

16. Ted Leo “Since U Been Gone
Ted's live cover of the Kelly Clarkson song (with an homage to The Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps" thrown in) was never intended to be a joke - He likes the original, which is actually quite catchy if I say so myself (I just shed all of the remaining credibility that I may have still had).

15. Fiona Apple “Red Red Red” Sony
Just because someone is crazy, doesn't mean that they can't have a beautiful voice and write great songs (see Brian Wilson for historical perspective).

14. Thievery Corporation “Warning Shots” Eighteenth Street Lounge
In the past, my interest in electronic music was somewhat limited to New Order and Stereolab, but downtempo has changed that all for me. DC's Thieverry Corporation continue to produce new and interesting downtempo fusing world music, hip hop and social activism.

13. Anthony and the Johnsons “Hope There’s Someone” Secretly Canadian
The folks at Pitchfork Media named this song their #1 single of the year so check out why THEY think the song is SO GREAT. I like it because of its' simple melodies and Antony's unique vocals. What does Pitchfork have on me?

12. Bloc Party "Like Eating Glass" Vice
The only non-American band on the list (I'm such a homer) who put out one of the best albums of the year, Silent Alarm. This is the first of two of their songs that made the list.

11. Sleater-Kinney “Entertain” Subpop
I like my Sleater-Kinney loud and angry. And while "Entertain" draws from the same energy that drove "Dig Me Out", it also exposes the band at the peak of its' maturity. Bravo Corin, Bravo Janet, Bravo Carrie.

No comments: