Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Velocity Girl

As I wrapping up my time in Providence, getting ready to move to Baltimore next week, I think I have become a little nostalgic. Concurrently, I've been checking out the schedule at all of the local Baltimore and DC clubs to see who's coming to town this summer. When I made my way over to the Black Cat site I noticed the lovely Sarah Shannon is performing in a few weeks. Back in the early 90's Sarah fronted the indie-pop outfit Velocity Girl who along with Unrest provided the yin of the DC scene to yang of Fugazi, Jawbox, Hoover and the like. Their early work was heavily influenced by the British shoegazer scene of My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain and Ride while their later work was much more poppy (enough to make it on to a Volkswagon ad). Check out my favorite song released as single on Slumberland records in January of 1992.

My Forgotten Favorite (mp3)

No comments: