Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Gern Blandsten Records















I have always had a sweet spot for this label since my friend Mike turned me onto Chisel in the mid 1990's. Home to defunct DC bands like the aforementioned Chisel (Ted Leo's old band), The Impossible Five and Canyon - Gern Blansten Records, based in Jersey continues to put out great music from the Mid-Atlantic. Former Canyon frontman, Brandon Butler, put out Killer on the Road last year to great reviews. And the label's active roster includes some of Boston (like Victory At Sea and The Movies), New Jersey (Rye Coalition) and New York's best new bands. The New York contingent includes the post-punk a la Jawbox sounds of Pilot to Gunner, as well as the retro new wave stylings of The Flesh and Watchers.

Chisel "8 AM All Day" (mp3)
Canyon "Ten Good Eyes" (mp3)
Watchers "To The Rooftops" (mp3)
The Flesh "Sweet Defeat" (mp3)
The Impossible Five "Zero Zero" (mp3)
Pilot to Gunner "Zero Return" (mp3)
Brandon Butler "Next Time" (mp3)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you're notified of comments... not even sure who you are...
I believe I did a search for Chisel - as I have a (beginning to realize, fruitless) hope that one day they'll get back together, put out another amazing album and play a show in D.C. now that I live in the area. (Writing a song about me wouldn't hurt either.)

Anyway, I love your taste in music. I believe I'm going to check out some of the bands you written about that I hadn't previously heard...

Seferina

(myspace.com/sefsefsef)