Monday, December 04, 2006

The Murder City Devils DVD's


Over the last two years since my son was born, I've learned to find new avenues to satisfy my music fix. It's become harder and harder to go to shows so I've resigned myself to the couch and bought into the magic of Netflix. My inner teenager was yearning for some straight rawk recently so I found myself playing the Murder City Devils on near constant repeat. Looking for a little something extra, I found these films on said rental site.

The 2005 short documentary Rock & Roll Won't Wait tracks the band on tour across America. Their personalities caught on film are in great contrast to their stage persona. On stage they look like a band on the brink of spontaneous combustion at any moment, while the film captures the group offstage as quite thoughtful and polite. The sound quality of the live shows are variable at best, but the opporunity to see the band in a different light (especially 6th member/roadie, Gabe) is worth it for any fan.



The 2004 release The End chronicles the band's final show in Seattle on Halloween in 2001. This same show was captured on CD and released by SUB POP at R.I.P. back in 2003 and finds the band covering material from their entire five year career. Having seen the band only once in DC just weeks before their demise, I was thankful for the experience to see them live. This film only helps bolster those memories of an incredibly cool band that was left it all on the stage. The band members have moved on to other projects - most notably Derek Fudusco in Pretty Girls Make Graves and Dann Gallucci in Modest Mouse - although they did reunite this past summer in Seattle. Check out YouTube for video footage. In the meantime, throw these films on the old queue and check out these mp3s.

Lemuria Rising (mp3)

I Want A Lot (So Come On) (mp3)

Rum to Whiskey (mp3)




No comments: