Thursday, December 28, 2006

Top Songs of 2006: 10 - 1

Here's the top ten. I didn't realize it until now, but SubPop must be the label of the year with three songs in the top ten. Enjoy.







10. Band of Horses "Funeral" (mp3)
I've read a lot of positive reviews of this album over the last several months, but none have made the obvious (to me at least) comparison to the great mid-90's albums by the Catherine Wheel. "Funeral" has the best atomospherics of any song of the year.







9. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Cheated Hearts" (mp3)
It took me forever to give this band a chance - I was very skeptical. But with this song I stand corrected.







8. Oxford Collapse "Please Visit Your National Parks" (mp3)
Simple song structure with a little bit of Built to Spill back there somewhere - it just works.






7. Plus/Minus "Leap Year" (mp3)
What do you do after spending the majority of your career in the background of one of the 90's best indie rock bands? Well, you start your group. After being overshadowed by Richard Baliyut and Fontaine Toups in the great Versus, James Baliyut and Patrick Ramos started +/- a few years back as a laptop band. This song along with #35 "Steal the Blueprints" make great strides in helping these guys get out of the shadow cast by Versus.








6. Silversun Pickups "Well Thought Out Twinkles" (mp3)
"Lazy Eye" got most of the press (I have it at #25) but this song is the better gem - just enough in common with the best stuff that The Posies ever did to put a smile on your face.







5. Eric Bachmann "Lonesome Warrior" (mp3)
See my Eric Bachmann post from a few weeks back for all the details on this one.






4. The Thermals "A Pillar Of Salt" (mp3)
This is the most pure rock and roll song (punk-rock category) in the top ten (and the only one about the fear of a Christian fascist state).







3. Cat Power "Lived In Bars" (mp3)
My friend Joanna got my wife and me a copy of Dusty Springfield in Memphis for our wedding and I love it. This is the closest anyone has ever gotten to that masterpiece.







2. The Hold Steady "Stuck Between Stations" (mp3)
The best song on the best album of the year. This album is made or broken by the fact that this is the opening track. The best rock and roll song (indie rock category) on the list.







1. William Elliot Whitmore "Dry" (mp3)
Just a man's voice and his banjo - it's that simple. But if you can put out a song that gives me the chills every time I hear it - you win.

2 comments:

indie mom said...

I hadn't thought that Band of Horses sounded like Catherine Wheel, but you're right. Great best of list!

tad said...

nice list and a nice place you have here. keep up the good work