Sunday, December 03, 2006

Owen


Dinnertime at my house can sometimes be a little hectic. My two-year-old is a little bit of a nut, so I created a playlist on the ole' Ipod full of music that the Mrs. and I quite enjoy but has the added benefit of relaxing our savage beast. Owen's 2004 full-length I Do Perceive is major player in our quest for a peaceful dinner.

Owen is Chicago multi-instrumentalist Matt Kinsella's solo project. Having played in a who's who of Chicago bands including Cap'n Jazz, Joan of Arc, Aloha, American Football and Maritime (see Ask Me About My Invisible Friends post on Maritme), Matt created Owen in an effort to have complete creative control over a project. Now Matt (or Owen) is back with a brand new full-length on Polyvinyl entitled At Home With Owen. It treads familiar territory for Kinsella - simple yet earnest songs accompanied by acoustic guitar, simple percussion and the occasional orchestral arrangement. It's quite brillant.

Check out the single Bad News (mp3) from the new album as well as She's A Thief (mp3) from 2004's I Do Perceive.

No comments: