Monday, December 18, 2006

Top Songs of 2006: 30 - 21






30. Beth Orton "Pieces of Sky" (mp3)
Not unlike Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie, Beth Orton has a voice that is so singular that it makes it possible to listen to her for only a finite period of time. There is, in fact, a scientific formula that proves that 45 minutes is the maximal pleasurable time to listen to her (true for Death Cab as well) and any listening beyond that will have diminishing returns. Consider including this song in your 45 minutes.






29. La Rocca "Sing Song Sung"
My sister-in-law got me a subscription to Filter magazine for Christmas last year and this was one of the few bands that I really liked that I discovered through the magazine.





28. Amy Milan "Skinny Boy" (mp3)
Of the three Broken Social Scene ladies, Leslie Feist owned 2005 and it looks like Emily Haines will own 2006. But for me, I like the more folk/blues influenced work of Amy Milan. Plus she's been touring with Eric Bachmann, which has got to help her indie cred.







27. Jennifer O'Connor "Exeter, Rhode Island" (mp3)
Yes, the fact that I live in Rhode Island helps this song. But it is catchy as hell and Jennifer has one of my favorite voices in music today.






26. Pearl Jam "Life Wasted"
I stopped listening to Pearl Jam in 1994, just before college graduation. Not for any good reason, but I was just sort of done with them. "Life Wasted" is by far the best thing they've done in 10 years and the album as a whole is a triumph.







25. Silversun Pickups "Lazy Eye" (mp3)
I've been hard pressed to take too many recommendations from Bob Mould these days. I love the man, but dance music is not my thing. I gave this rec a chance especially after a promising article in Under the Radar.







24. French Toast "Settle In"
My DC loyalties are all over this pick. I've been a big fan of James Canty's previous work in Nation of Ulysses and Make Up, but I was a litte underwhelmed by French Toast's debut In A Cave. With the addition of multi-instrumentalist, Ben Gilligan (who has happens to be the fiance of my very good friend, Kandy), the band finds itself trying its hand at different styles throughout the course of the album and it works.







23. The Hold Steady "Party Pit" (mp3)
With all due respect to Sonic Youth and Cat Power, Boys and Girls in America is the best album of the year. The Brooklyn via Twin Cities band plays homage to all the great bar bands from The Replacements to Soul Asylum to the E Street Band on this masterpiece. "Party Pit" has all the elements of a great bar band song replete with the repeating "Gonna Walk Around and Drink Some More".







22. Rye Coalition "Pussyfootin'"
With songs like "Communication Breakdance" and "Vietnam Vetrinarian", these guys clearly have an exceptional sense of humor. Combine that with their serious rock and roll chops, Dave Grohl's production (which only helps the humor) and the result is the best album AC/DC didn't put out this year. Yes my friends, Jersey does rock.





21. Camera Obscura "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" (mp3)
Camera Obscura finally gets out of Belle and Sebastian's shadow with this homage to Lloyd Cole's 1984 hit.

No comments: